Finally. A gluten-free oatmeal chocolate chip cookie that takes the cake – or cookie. Anyway, soft, chewy and filled with that good old-fashioned oatmeal flavor. Sending out an aroma of par excellence from the oven that will send the whole neighborhood running to your door!
I started with my best ever chocolate chip cookie recipe (you can find that here) and tweaked it so it would look and smell like old fashioned oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. In this case, gluten-free cookies as good as Grandma makes. (Maybe better).
Here are a few pointers to help make these your best ever:
- Make sure your oats are certified gluten-free, like Bob’s Red Mills are. There is no chance of cross-contamination with theirs.
- Whole regular oats work best.
- Butter and egg at room temp. work best.
- I usually use an eclectic mix of gluten-free flours, but this time in order to create a cookie that is easy for everyone to find flour for, I used Bob’s Red Mills 1:1 Baking Flour. It works perfectly. Can you substitute? Yes. But I can’t say how the results will be. Gluten-free flours are finicky.
- These cookies spread quite a bit. You can refrigerate the dough for a few hours, and they will be fatter.
- These gluten-free oatmeal chocolate chip cookies are versatile enough for you to change up the size. Small or large, just watch them and when they begin to brown around the edges you can take them out. They are very forgiving.
- I use maple syrup as my flavoring, you can use any gluten-free vanilla or other.
- I have baked these at both 350 and 375 degrees. Either one works, one requires more time. Just don’t let them burn! I like 375 degrees best. They spread less.
I have said that my original chocolate chip cookie recipe is my favorite Happy Dance cookies, but these oatmeal chocolate chip cookies are a close second. They’re brimming with a hearty ~ country kitchen flavor, and needless to say, bring a smile to my families faces.
I also have another cookie recipe if oats aren’t for you. It is grain-free and has become very popular. You can check it out here.
Gluten-Free Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 stick butter room temp.
- 1/3 cup almond butter You can use peanut butter. (no sugar)
- 1/2 cup flour Bobs Red Mills 1:1 Baking Flour
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar any light sugar will do
- 1 cup whole oats gluten-free
- 1 tsp vanilla flavoring/maple syrup gluten-free
- 1 tsp molasses
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- Whip the butter
- Add in your almond butter and whip again.
- Add in the lightly beaten egg and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add in the molasses and flavoring and mix.
- At this point put in all the rest of the dry ingredients, including the oats and chocolate chips.
- Mix well, but just until completely incorporated. Refrigerate or bake.
- Put preferred scoop size on cookie sheets leaving room for spreading.
- Bake 8-12 minutes at 350-375.
- Allow to cool so they don't fall apart!